By Danny McCarthy, Staff Writer
Brrr it’s cold outside, but it’s nice and toasty in Pop Culture Land. So slip under a blanket, grab some hot cocoa and read about what’s happened in the past week!
7. Ben and Jerry’s Core Ice Cream:
If this isn’t a culinary breakthrough, then I don’t know what is. Ben and Jerry’s released their new ice cream adventure, which includes “a core center of fudge, caramel or real raspberry jam.” The cores are designed to complement the two ice creams that accompany it in the pint. All I can say is that I’m going to be very fat unless someone heavily regulates me. I think that the Core could be either the best or worst thing to happen to ice cream.
At least there’s something you can depend on in this world! Michelle Dockery, who plays Lady Mary on the PBS hit Downton Abbey, revealed on a UK talk show that she has no plans to leave the show before it ends. “I am sticking with the show for however long the producers want it to go,” Dockery said, leading to a chorus of revealed sighs from Downton fans. This appears to be a valid question as Dockery’s film career has been picking up recently. She will appear in the upcoming film Nonstop alongside Liam Neeson, Julianne Moore and Lupita Nyong’o.
The Prism star and her on-and-off boyfriend of two years, singer John Mayer, have decided to call it quits again. The news comes after sparks were flying about a possible Mayer-Perry engagement. According to an inside source, it was Perry’s choice but the split was “extremely amicable.” Perry got together with Mayer after her divorce from comedian Russell Brand. But Perry appears to be moving on, sporting a jet-black blunt-bang bob and looking ferocious. Sound off below: do you think Perry has the “eye of the tiger” or is a “plastic bag drifting through the wind”?
Maybe this is why the Suits star didn’t come to the Boston University premiere! Word has just gotten out that Macht and wife Jacinda Barrett welcomed a little boy named Luca into the world on February 26! The couple, married in 2004, already has a daughter Satine, 6, and a dog named Lucky. We hope that mother and baby are doing great, and congratulate the whole Macht family on the new addition!
Their kids will be unfairly gorgeous. Ashton Kutcher and Mila Kunis, who played Kelso and Jackie, respectively, on “That 70s Show,” are reportedly engaged. The pair, who have remained quiet about their relationship, were spotted together with a diamond ring on Kunis’s finger. The two have known each other for years, Kutcher was Kunis’s first kiss! After Kutcher’s divorce from actress Demi Moore, he began spending more time with Kunis, showing that life can, and does, mirror art. Hopefully they have a long, happy life together.
2. Matt Peterson and Miley Cyrus:
This makes me love Miley even more. After turning down a prom date from a super fan, Miley Cyrus invited Matt Peterson personally to her Arizona show. Peterson showed up in a suit covered in tongues, and posed with Cyrus prom-style. Years ago, Peterson met Cyrus after winning a contest, and only a few months later called him out at one of her concerts. So, naturally, when the time came for Peterson to think of a prom date, he reached out to Miley. In a video that has almost one million views, Peterson recalls all of the good times they’ve had before asking Cyrus to prom.
1. Lea Michele’s “If You Say So”:
Lea Michele’s new song “If You Say So” has found its way to the Internet. The song contains the last words ever spoken to her by her boyfriend and late actor Cory Monteith, who tragically passed away in July of last 2013. The touching song is one of the only songs that Monteith never heard from Michele’s new album, Louder. The song graces over the pain of losing Monteith and the things they talked about, like growing old together. The powerful ballad is a beautiful reminder of Monteith’s legacy, both personally and professionally.
Stay classy, stay pop culture-y, and stay sharp! Until next week!
By Danny McCarthy, Staff Writer
6. Simon Cowell had his baby:
According to EOnline.com, the American Idol and X Factor judge has become a dad! Simon Cowell and his girlfriend Lauren Silverman had their first child together, a little boy. The baby, named Eric Selig Phillip Cowell, is named after Simon’s late father. The little bundle of joy has already experienced quite a splash of fame, when Cowell first revealed Silverman, then the wife of his best friend, to be pregnant with his child. But all seems well in the Cowell household. Let’s hope that becoming a dad will make Simon a little less harsh to those singing hopefuls!
5. “Orange is the New Black” season two:
The hit Netflix drama has a release date for season two! Rollingstone.com names the special day as June 6th. Season Two will take the focus away from Season One’s main character, Piper, and begin to delve into the story-lines of the other characters. Show-creator Jenji Kohan said, “As much as I love Piper and Taylor [the actress who portrays her] and her journey, I think people are interested in everyone’s journey.”
Prepare your life for a lot more of Crazy Eyes, Yoga Jones and Red!
4. The Olympians get romantic:
Not even the cold winds of Sochi, Russia can chill the fire burning in the Olympians’ hearts. This past Valentine’s Day, the Olympians got all romantic. U.S. Olympian Nick Goepper needed a Valentine, so the 19-year-old put it out into the world, hoping to find one. He wants something creative to catch his attention. Other Olympians took to Twitter and Instagram to get into the lovey-dovey spirit. Some were funny, some were sweet and some were downright aww-worthy.
Tell me in the comments below, who is your Olympic Valentine?
3. Frozen live performance:
Frozen just can’t let it go, can it? The smashing, now-iconic wonder that was the story of love between two sisters has taken it to the next level. The stars of the movie, including Kristen Bell, Idina Menzel and Josh Gad, performed their songs live for an audience. It was a beautiful moment and showcased the actors’ impressive talents. Josh Gad hosted the event and belted out a few numbers of his own, but of course the gold star goes to Menzel for her beautiful rendition of the now-famous “Let It Go,” the song that has swept the our nation.
2. Bangerz tour kick-off:
Finally! Miley Cyrus began her Bangerz tour on Valentine’s Day in Vancouver. To kick things off, she made her entrance coming down a slide shaped like a tongue — because why not, right? — and bedazzled her way into our hearts with her crazy outfits. This tour could prove to be the solidification of a whole new Miley, and a celebration of her transformation so far. According to an EOnline.com article, Miley was having some pre-show nerves, tweeting, “I don’t know if it’s Valentines Day or #BangerzTour but I’m most definitely having a panic attack.” Aww, Miley!
1. Michael Sam and Ellen Page:
Taking the topic from Miley to something a little more serious, this week has been groundbreaking for the LGBTQ community. Two prominent public figures, NFL draftee Michael Sam and Ellen Page of “Juno” and “Inception” came out of the closet. Hailing from Univeristy of Missouri-Columbia, Sam is a defensive lineman and a top pick for the NFL. If drafted, Sam would be the first openly gay football player in the NFL. Page came out at the Human Rights Campaign Foundation Conference. In a beautiful, heart-warming speech, Page decided to stop “lying by omission” and genuinely thanked the HRCFC for all the work that they have done in helping her life and the lives of others.
By Danny McCarthy, Staff Writer
Remember when I wrote about men’s fashion? I was so good at that, right? (Just agree with me.) Well, now I’ve decided to foray into the great wilderness that is pop culture, armed with only a dream and access to the Internet. Join me as we count down the top seven things that you might have missed this week in pop culture!
7. “Full House”—Apparently there is a “Full House” reunion in the works! The iconic television show, which ran from 1987-1995, was almost a religion in my household, and its ongoing popularity has proved that it probably held the same position in the lives of others. According to an interview John Stamos did with CBS News, the project will be “sort of reunion-like, not with the full cast.” So who do you think will be in the Full House reunion? Let us know in the comments below!
6. Ron and Hermione: Happily Never After?—My world is coming to a halt because J.K. Rowling, in a new article (in which she was interviewed by Emma Watson — perfection) announced that she isn’t quite certain that Ron and Hermione should have ended up together. The author instead wished that she had put Harry and Hermione together instead. Personally, I can see Hermione and Ron not working out, but Harry and Hermione just seems…weird. Whose team are you on? Ron or Harry?
5. Beyoncé—As per usual, Beyoncé was flawless at the Grammys. Using only a chair, smoke and her own perfection as props, she gave a sultry, strong rendition of “Drunk in Love”, a song from her new self-titled album, BEYONCÉ. Her husband, rapper Jay-Z, joined the performer later in the song. Despite the song being censored live, parents are in an uproar about the duet, citing it to be a little too risqué for children. What do you think? Was Beyoncé’s dance too sexy for the Grammys?
4. The “Midnight Memories” music video—I had to put this in here. One Direction, the boy band that’s sweeping the nation, nay, the world, released the music video for the titular song of their album, Midnight Memories. The video, which has over 8.5 million views on YouTube, features the boys hanging out with old ladies and generally getting rowdy, while making it seem like the most fun thing in the world, as only One Direction can.
3. Miley Cyrus, “Unplugged”—Miley Cyrus had complete creative control over her MTV program, “Unplugged”, taking a decidedly Southern twist on her breakout album Bangerz. The artist, glowing in a platinum pixie cut and bedazzled cowboy gear, had Madonna on as a guest performer, but made it clear that she had originally wanted Dolly Parton to join her. And if there is no other proof that Miley is the new Queen of Pop, there is the fact that Madonna was her second choice. Sorry, Mads.
2. “The Fault In Our Stars” movie trailer—This one dances close to my heart. The trailer for “The Fault in Our Stars”, adapted from John Green’s New York Times bestseller, premiered on Wednesday, already racking up eight million views on YouTube. Whether you have loved the book since its release, or fell in love with Augustus Waters’ lazy smirk, you know that this is one movie you have to see. With Shailene Woodley and Ansel Elgort leading an amazing cast, hopefully “The Fault in Our Stars” can live up to the beauty of its source material.
1. “Same Love” marriages—Keeping up with all the feels, I had to double up on Grammy love this week. 34 couples, gay and straight, were married during the Grammys after a rendition of Macklemore’s groundbreaking song, “Same Love.” Making Grammy history, the occasion proved that music isn’t just for topping billboard charts or making money: it is, has been, and hopefully always will be, a vehicle for change. And it makes for a kick-ass wedding story!
That’s all for this week, if there’s anything I missed, or anything you think should be included in the Pop Culture Countdown next week, sound off in the comments below!
By Katrina Uy
Last weekend during her opening monologue on “Saturday Night Live”, she stated, “There are a few subjects I’m not going to get into tonight: I’m not going to do Hannah Montana, but I can give you an update. She was murdered.”
Well, then. That escalated quickly. How’s that for a break from the squeaky-clean image that was once beloved to pre-teen girls everywhere?
From her scandalous performance at the MTV Video Music Awards at the end of August, to her fourth studio album Bangerz, which was released just last week, 20-year-old pop star Miley Cyrus has been riding wave upon wave of controversy and success these past few months.
Miley’s career has been riddled with scandal ever since her Hannah Montana days on the Disney Channel. The controversies came in small doses – first it was leaked pictures of her almost kissing another girl at age 15, and then it was posing under a sheet without a bra for a Vanity Fair photoshoot by Annie Leibovitz later that same year.
Don’t worry, they said, she’s just acting like any other kid her age.
And maybe she was just being a normal kid, at least back then. But now, Miley knows what it takes to get noticed by the media and stay in the limelight. Be scantily clad in a music video or live performance? Check. Have a super hot on-again, off-again Australian boyfriend? Check. Oh, they called off their engagement last month? Even better – that just means more publicity to fuel the fires of her latest album, not to mention Liam Hemsworth is officially on the market again, ladies!
The scandals keep escalating, but in my opinion, Miley is the farthest from a train wreck by any means. She’s in total control of her career and unapologetically so. In an E! Online article, her most recent music video, “Wrecking Ball,” was the “fastest to reach 100 million views on Vevo.” Love her or hate her, she’s all anyone can talk about.
She’s got the looks, and she’s definitely got the talent. If you were to shield your eyes during any of her live performances and just listen to her sing, you wouldn’t be able to deny that she’s just as incredible live as she is in the studio. It’s a shame that she isn’t taking more advantage of her status as an A-list celeb by presenting herself as a role model for her fans but hey, priorities, am I right? Goodie-goodies don’t make headlines, Miley Cyrus 2.0 does.
And so I end on a conflicted note. On behalf of everyone with a sense of decency (think of the children!) I am begging you to please stop, Miley. But we all know that you can’t be tamed and probably won’t, and for the sake of your career you probably shouldn’t stop, either.
After all, there’s no such thing as bad press.
By Jasmine Ferrell, Staff Writer
Miley Cyrus. Everyone knows her, and whether they like to admit it, she is finally getting married. Let’s face it. At 19 years old, she’s already aging past her prime. Her engagement to Liam Hemsworth of “The Hunger Games” has been old news, lining the bottom of birdcages, for quite some time. The latest installment of the Miley saga is that one wedding just wouldn’t be enough.
Any woman of her social standing requires at least two completely different weddings, so obviously she needs three, according to an article quoting her father, Billy Ray Cyrus. His budget for the multiple weddings has been estimated around $1 million, a modest expenditure. Some other cool things (okay, cooler) you could buy with $1 million include purchasing a personal submarine or an entire bathtub made out of one Amazon Rainforest crystal. Yeah, I did the research. Regardless, Miley’s three wedding ceremonies will take place in Los Angeles, Tennessee and Melbourne, Australia.
But Miley said Thursday on “Ellen” that there will be one “perfect” wedding, despite her dad’s dreams. And so far, not many details have been released from her or her father. I don’t know what else is up dad’s sleeve, or which facts are true, but if I were her, I’d go all out and plan each of dad’s planned weddings vastly differently. Fortunately I’m not her, and for the purpose of this post, I’ll act as her (or her dad’s, really) wedding planner. What fun!
Alright Miley, so the first wedding, though you claim there will only be one, will be in Los Angeles. Dad will want to represent your rise to stardom. There’s no better theme than “Hannah Montana.” The decor will be in obnoxiously bright colors. There will be sequins and animal print everywhere, and the showcase piece will be an eight-foot wax statue of Hannah Montana that will talk or sing when anyone walks in front of it. Class. Finger food and Kool-Aid will be served throughout the evening, and the entertainment will consist of Hannah Montana impersonators.
After that we will go to Tennessee, where your roots are. We’re going to take a lot of inspiration from your heritage and embrace the country. All the men will have on cowboy boots and a piece of straw in their mouth. The ladies, on the other hand, will wear the classic fringed jacket and ride tractors down the aisle. A large barn will serve as the setting for the reception, and we’ll be sure to have a keg of moonshine to enjoy while listening to a constant stream of country music. Daddy Billy Ray will sing the first dance song, naturally.
“Daaaad, you’re totally ruining my wedding(s)!!!!”
In Australia, we’ll shine the spotlight on Liam for a while. We’ll avoid the cheesy Australian stereotypes like Kangaroos and focus on the real history. The entire bridal party shall be dressed like criminals that were thrown on the land mass. For the decoration, we’ll keep it bare and simple, with just some repeating stripe patterns and concrete blocks. It’ll be the understated wedding of the three.
Okay, okay. For Miley’s sake, let’s hope either she or her dad have better plans, one wedding or three.