By Maya Devereaux, Staff Writer
Having seen all three installments of the Daniel Craig series in a matter of one weekend, I’m new to this whole James Bond franchise. Needless to say, I did not have very high expectations of “Skyfall.” I was envisioning myself at the theater having to turn to my boyfriend every 10 minutes to ask him what the hell was going on. However, this was not the case at all. The movie blew me, a loyal romantic comedy fan, away. Here are six reasons why you need to look up your local movie times and go see it tonight.
1. The theme song is to die for. I am not a huge fan of Adele’s music, despite the fact that she is extraordinarily talented. The tone of her songs is dismal, to say the least. However, her theme for the third James Bond installment featuring Daniel Craig radiates with brilliance. “Skyfall” fits into the film perfectly and has a cool music video to beat.
2. It is comprehensible. “Casino Royale” was good, but “Quantum of Solace” was pretty much terrible. The intricate web of villains and enemies Bond has to penetrate before getting to the head bad guy is downright confusing. Skyfall’s plot is straightforward, and the big villain has a large presence throughout the film.
3. Javier Bardem. His portrayal of a ruthless hitman in “No Country for Old Men” won him an academy award in 2007. If you thought that character was creepy, wait until you see Bardem in “Skyfall.” His representation of cyberterrorist Raoul Silva will send chills down your spine. Plus, he’s a total babe.
4. The scenery is aesthetically beautiful. It’s hard to pay attention to the backdrop of the film with all of the action that goes on between the actors, but you also can’t miss the bright aerial shots of Shanghai and breathtaking views of London.
5. New gadgets and gizmos. Since this most recent trilogy has taken the spotlight, what better way to modernize the franchise than with some sleek new toys for Bond? How cool is a handgun that is coded to recognize your handprint so it will only fire when you are holding it?
6. The climax scene. Without giving too much away, let me just say that the last portion of the film is just epic. It will keep you at the edge of your seat (not that you won’t be there already), anxious to see who will finish on top.